When we are planning our trips there is always a rush and excitement because of which we often forget to pack things of high importance (at times, even our passports!). So, to help you with your packing and save a little extra time, we have compiled a list of basic things you need to pack on your suitcase for your family vacations or getaways.
Here are the basic things you’ll need:
Passport/ VISA/ Identifications
These documents are of extreme importance and are the first things you should pack. Make sure you bring all the entry requirements according to the country you are visiting.
ATM/ Credit or Debit Cards/ Travel Cards
Since you will be traveling, apart from some cash it is advised that you keep your cards safe. Additionally, if you keep only a small amount of cash in your wallet and keep your cards in a different location, if you are ever the prey to theft, then you would not run out of money completely. It would be vise to use a bank card which does not “paywave” technology (“paywave” system enables you to pay without typing your pin code – it simplifies the transaction but is also somehow risky, and in case of theft someone else can use your card to buy things).
Travel Insurance/ Health Insurance and Other Health Documents
Many countries require the tourists to have a medical check-up done. So, in order to not be deported back, it is advisable to carry your health insurance documents. Not only that, but if you sustain any injury abroad, your health and travel insurance will take care of that.
If you have any prescriptions make sure you have ample supply of the medicines or take the prescription along with you. Though many pharmacies let you buy the drugs if you have the prescriptions, but it is a safe idea to carry extras just in case.
Reservations & Itineraries
This is very important. Even though you have the mailed copy in your mobile phone or tablet, carry a hardcopy with you and ask your partner to do the same.
Tour Contact Info or any other discount or loyalty coupons
Keep the contact details of the tour guides and the property owners where you’re staying. So that if you are lost you can call them up and know where to go. Make sure your family members do the same. Exchange your personal mobile details as well and keep them written in diaries.
Keep printed copies of Tickets/Passports/ Emergency Information
E-mail a photo copy of your passport, driver’s license, medical cards & itinerary to yourself and the family just in case.
Swiss or Multi-Purpose Knife
You never now when you are going to need this, but it might really help you out.
Translation, Guide Books and Maps
Countries where the first language is not English, a guide or translation book will be very helpful. Learning a few common sentences in the local languages would be a great idea.
Comb/Brush, Hair Bands, Toothbrush & Paste, Deodorant/ Perfume, Soap/Shampoo
Even though the hotels/lodgings provide these things, if you opt for a vacation rental, you may want to bring your own.
Make sure to have your clothing and footwear for beach, but also for a night out and days spent exploring the area.
Some other basic thing to pack on your suitcase:
- Security Items such as locks
- Camera, Video Camera, USB, Memory Card and Chargers
- Multi-purpose and universal adapter
- Polythene plastic bags for your unwashed clothes or trash
- Sanitizers and wipes
- Compact Sewing Kit and First Aid Kit
- Glasses/ Eye wear or contact lenses
Now some of the important things to do before you travel:
- Make sure your travel is well before the expiry dates of your Passport, Credit Cards, and Drivers License.
- Inform your bank or delivery services that you will be traveling.
- Drop off a copy of your itinerary and contact details with relatives.
- Make sure there is someone to care for your pets and/or garden.
- Pay bills before your travel.
- Empty the refrigerator and unplug all the electronic appliances like heaters, air conditioners, kitchen appliances, washer, washing machine, etc.
- Make sure all the taps are closed.
- Lock all doors and windows and turn on the security alarms.
- Store valuables in a safe place, like your keys.
- Also, booking your accommodation can make things much easier. Let’s Go is there for you so feel free to search all the available vacation rentals and reserve in advance the one that suits you best. This will save you time and money, so you can directly go to your apartment and start enjoying your vacation as soon as possible!